Smoking Cessation and Reduction in Pregnancy Treatment (SCRIPT)
About The Curriculum:
Smoking Cessation and Reduction in Pregnancy Treatment (SCRIPT) is an award-winning, evidence-based program shown to the effective in helping thousands of pregnant women quit smoking. The overall goal of SCRIPT is to educate women of the dangers of smoking while pregnant in an effort to improve her and her baby’s health. Smoking during pregnancy not only harms the mother, but the baby as well. Some of the adverse effects of tobacco use during pregnancy include a low birth weight, altered fetal development, impaired fetal growth, increased risk of SIDS, complications during pregnancy, and decreased lung function of the baby. SCRIPT equips care coordinators by including this information as an integrated component of a patient education program.
The SCRIPT Program includes the following intervention components:
- ‘A Pregnant Woman’s Guide To Quit Smoking’: This 36-page guide includes a self-evaluation process which helps foster cessation over a seven-day period. It is written in a 5th-6th grade reading level.
- ‘Commit to Quit’: This video provides encouragement to quit smoking, exposure to recommended smoking cessation skills, and reduces the length of needed counseling.
- Comprehensive counseling and follow-up by a health care professional
Substance Abusing Pregnant Women
Substance Exposed Children and their Families
Prenatal substance abuse has a clear impact on the health of the pregnant woman. Drugs and the woman’s lifestyle can affect fetal development, the infant’s birth weight, mortality and development. Based on responses to the National Pregnancy and Health Survey (1996), an estimated 5.5 percent of pregnant women acknowledge that they used an illegal drug during pregnancy.
Identification of use/abuse of alcohol and/or illegal substances can be determined by:
- The woman’s own admission to staff,
- A positive drug toxicology,
- A staff member witnessing the use, and/or
- A report from a reliable source
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
You can make an impactful difference in Miami’s underserved children’s lives when you donate! Healthy Start Coalition of Miami-Dade’s revenue is derrived in part from donations like yours!