Who We Are and What We Do
Pregnancy and the early weeks of parenthood – typically times of celebration, family joy, and connection with loved ones – continues to be drastically affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. These are frightening times as the COVID-19 crisis continues to change our way of life.
The Healthy Start Coalition of Miami-Dade (HSCMD) works to improve the lives of pregnant women, children, and their families by providing a connection to free care coordination and customized services based on each family’s goals and needs. We focus on lessening the dangers associated with pre-term birth, low birth weight, infant distress, and poor growth-related outcomes.
Pregnant women and families are seeking our support now, more than ever before, as they embark on their parenting journey during this unprecedented emotional and economic crisis.
We embrace our mission with passion and professionalism, uplifted by the strength and love our mothers and their entire families share with their young children.
Frequently Asked Questions
About the Event
When is Give Miami Day?
- Give Miami Day 2021 is Thursday, November 18th. The 24-hour online event begins at 12 a.m. EST on November 18th and ends at 12 a.m. EST on November 19th.
Who hosts Give Miami Day?
- Give Miami Day is hosted by The Miami Foundation, a community foundation that helps community members become champions for the issues they care about. The Miami Foundation does not collect any fees and hosts Give Miami Day as part of its mission to promote generosity throughout Greater Miami.
Who can make a gift?
- Anyone! This event is open to the public and anyone across the globe may participate by making a gift online.
Making a Gift
How can I make a gift?
- Gifts can be made through a bank account, credit, or qualified gift card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express) or through a Donor Advised Fund at The Miami Foundation.
Can I give ahead of Give Miami Day?
- Yes! You can begin supporting your favorite causes when Early Giving launches on Monday, November 15 at 12 a.m. All gifts made during Early Giving are eligible for the bonus pool percentage match.
Is there a minimum or maximum gift?
- The minimum gift amount is $25. There is no maximum gift amount. Please note: only gifts between $25 and $10,000 are eligible for percentage match funds from the Bonus Pool, an additional percentage of funds distributed to participating nonprofits after Give Miami Day.
What cards do you accept?
- We accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit and debit cards. You may also use a bank account or a qualified gift card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express). Gifts cannot be made through PayPal, money order, check or cash.
How much of my gift will go to the nonprofit?
- Nonprofits will receive the entire gift amount you designate, plus Bonus Pool funds and/or eligible prizes. However, credit card and transaction fees, up to about 4.5%, will be deducted. The transaction fee is paid to Neon One, The Miami Foundation’s technology partner. The Miami Foundation hosts Give Miami Day as part of its mission to promote philanthropy throughout Miami-Dade County and does not collect any fees or revenue for Give Miami Day.
- If you make a gift through a Donor Advised Fund at The Miami Foundation, neither credit card nor transaction fees are assessed; your entire gift plus Bonus Pool funds and prizes will go to the nonprofit(s) you select.
Can I pay for the transaction fees on the gift I’m making?
- Yes! You have the option to help cover the credit card and transaction fees (estimated up to 4.5%) for your gifts. Doing this will ensure your favorite causes receive 100% of your gift. You can opt-out of this option if you choose when completing the gift form.
How can I make a gift for someone else?
- If you’re making a gift on behalf, in honor, or in memory of another person, you may include their name under the “in honor/in memory of” option on your giving form. We recommend adding a note in the “Comments or Special Instructions” section of the form indicating a thank-you note should be sent to that person.
Is my gift tax-deductible?
- Yes. Your gift and any fees you may choose to cover are fully tax-deductible. You will receive an itemized receipt from email@example.com to submit with your taxes after making a gift. Only receipts sent from The Miami Foundation may be used for tax purposes.
Can I receive anything in exchange for my gift?
- No. Gifts made on Give Miami Day may not be used to pay for anything that might be perceived as a material benefit to the donor, including tickets to events, membership fees, or other incentives.
What is Early Giving?
- The Early Giving period is the few days leading up to Give Miami Day during which we will open the GiveMiamiDay.org portal for donations to be made early. From Monday, November 15 at 12 a.m. through Wednesday, November 17 at 11:59 p.m., anyone can go to GiveMiamiDay.org, find a nonprofit’s profile, and make a gift before the start of Give Miami Day (November 18 at 12 a.m.).
Why did we add an Early Giving period?
- We are always in search of new ways to increase critical support and funding for our local nonprofits, and we’ve seen many other giving days implement an Early Giving period with great success! The main purpose of the Early Giving period is to give increased flexibility to many nonprofits and donors who may not be able to get all of their donations in during the 24 hours of Give Miami Day.
When is the Early Giving period?
- Sunday, November 14 at 11:59 p.m. – deadline for nonprofits to make edits to their profile
- Monday, November 15 at 12:00 a.m. – Early Giving period begins (GiveMiamiDay.org opens for donations)
- Wednesday, November 17 at 11:59 p.m. – Early Giving period ends
- Thursday, November 18 at 12:00 a.m. – Give Miami Day begins
- Thursday, November 18 at 11:59 p.m. – Give Miami Day ends (all gifts must be entered into GiveMiamiDay.org by this time)
When will early gifts be processed and visible for the nonprofits to see?
- Gifts will be processed immediately when entered into GiveMiamiDay.org during Early Giving. Gifts will immediately show up in the total amount raised for the nonprofit it is made to and will be able to view the donor information on the nonprofit donation report. If you have additional questions, please contact the nonprofit directly. If you have issues processing your early giving gift please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Is there a limit to how much my organization can raise during the Early Giving period?
- No, there is no limit to how much your organization can raise during the Early Giving period.
Will gifts made during the Early Giving period qualify for matches and prizes?
- Eligible gifts between $25 and $10,000 made during the Early Giving period will qualify for the general Bonus Pool percentage match, not the Power Hour percentage match.
Are there any prizes during Early Giving?
- Yes! The prizes will be announced in November!
Reasons to Give
What are Prizes?
- Prizes help your selected organizations earn extra dollars. These hourly and milestone opportunities range from $500 to $1,500 in extra dollars for the winning nonprofits. An organization is only eligible to win one prize. Please note that the winner of the Early Bird Prize will be eligible to receive an additional prize during Give Miami Day. The full list of prizes will be available in November.
What are Champion Pages?
- Champion Pages are an easy way to support your favorite nonprofit on Give Miami Day. You can create a unique URL to share with your network, set fundraising goals, keep track of gifts made on the day, upload photos and videos as well as a personal story about why you’re supporting a specific nonprofit.
What is the Bonus Pool?
- All gifts between $25 and $10,000 will be eligible for a bonus gift from the Bonus Pool. The bonus gift percentage will be calculated by dividing the total Bonus Pool dollars by the total eligible gifts. For example, in 2019, the bonus gift percentage was approximately 5%. If an organization raised $5,000, their bonus gift was $250. The Miami Foundation determines the Bonus Pool percentage at the conclusion of Give Miami Day.
Who should I contact if I need technical assistance?
- For questions related to the GiveMiamiDay.org platform and/or how to navigate your donor profile, please use the Support button on the bottom right corner of your screen. You will receive a response within 2 business days of submitting your request if submitted before November 15.
- Live Support Chat feature will become active November 15 – 18 for live support.
- If your transaction is not processing, please contact your credit card company or bank. Multiple unsuccessful attempts may cause your banking company to lock your card.
- If you accidentally make a gift to the wrong organization, please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com or 305-371-2711 to make the adjustment. After Tuesday, November 23, 2021, at 4 p.m., all gifts made to selected organizations are considered final and non-refundable unless otherwise directed by the merchant processing company.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
You can make an impactful difference in Miami’s underserved children’s lives when you donate! Healthy Start Coalition of Miami-Dade’s revenue is derived in part from donations like yours!